Tuesday, June 7, 2011

USA Flea Market and Produce Stand

USA Market
5400 AL 25 East
Montevallo, AL 35115


The USA Flea Market and Produce Stand is located less than a mile past Piggly Wiggly on Highway 25 East headed towards Calera. The site sits directly atop the junction of Hwy. 25 and County Road 155 into Dry Creek and consists of a small knick-knack shop with several tables of fresh produce welcoming all visitors. The store, which distributes produce bought from over twenty-five farmers from the Chilton County and Sand Mountain areas, has been owned and operated by Mr. Eddie Smith and his wife for the past three years. Their hours of service are everyday from 9 AM to 6 PM everyday during summer, with the produce section of the store running intermittently during the Spring and Fall.


I spoke with Mr. Smith on Friday afternoon; he expressed that even though he does not always make a profit (describing his work as more of a hobby), he still beats competing chain store vendors' prices for local produce. Mr. Smith has made several recent donations to storm victims and even makes after-hours deliveries to requesting customers.


Food Prices-
-Sand Mountain Watermelon $5.00

- Local Cantelopes $1.50
- Local Bell Peppers (5) $3.00
- Green Plums $6.00


On my way out, I mentioned that I'd like to buy a basket of peaches, but didn't have my wallet on me and would have to come back by some other time. He quickly bagged the basket of peaches, and told me to pay him back the three bucks anytime. I told him I'd be back by on Sunday and we shook hands. How often do you see that at Piggly Wiggly?


Aaron T

No comments:

Post a Comment